Vitbar192 ® 13-Апр-2020 06:42

Ready to Sail: a Captain's Guide to Boat Inspection and Repairs, Preparations of Boat and Crew for Offshore Passage-Making

Year: 2007
Language: english
Author: Mapes E.
Genre: Guide
Publisher: Offshore Publications
ISBN: 0977777200
Format: PDF
Quality: Scanned pages
Pages count: 246
Description: It was my fate, in the fall of 1988, to meet a gentleman at a boat show in Harrison Township, Michigan. While showing me around his boat, he mentioned that he needed a hand in sailing her to the Caribbean to join the charter fleet. In that instant my sailing world began its expansion past cruising, racing, and delivery on the Great Lakes. Three weeks later, we were on the Detroit River in Enchantress, bound for Lake Erie and the Atlantic Ocean beyond.
Leaving New York Harbor and the Ambrose Light was a momentous event. The anticipation of new adventures left me wondering what was out there, and whether or not I could handle it. Little did I know that just ahead were three days of Force 8 cold front winds and the accompanying 30-foot waves as the Gulf Stream collided head on with those northerly winds.There would be no meals, little sleep, and seemingly unending seasickness. Waves hissed as they lifted us to their crests, roaring as they swept past. The bow sliced through the dark water and threw spume aft toward the cockpit.
Whipping through the rigging, the gale produced a crescendo of sound, forcing us to shout to be heard over the roar. When the breakers approached from astern, there were only seconds to duck and hold on as warm Gulf Stream water deluged the cockpit. The lightweight autopilot could withstand only a few hours of the punishment, so we took our turns at the helm. What had I gotten myself into?
This was my introduction to offshore passagemaking. But what I discovered during those days on the edge was something unexpected. I found that once I got past the noise and cold, the nausea and the fear, the ocean was astoundingly beautiftil. Our perch on the crests of those towering waves provided a panoramic view of the vast blue sea with its highlights of white foam. The night sky was full of more twinkling stars than I ever dreamed existed, and the waves' shimmering phosphorescence reminded me of snow-covered landscapes on a bright winter's day. My senses were delighted by flying fish, dolphins, whales, and that wonderful watery roar as our bow carved through the water right on course for Bermuda. The immense power and benevolence of Nature were on full display.
I discovered that our well-found yacht, properly maintained and stocked with the right gear, lent a calming sense of confidence and security. This reassurance allowed us to become more comfortable with the storm, certain that the boat could withstand whatever she had to. That unforgettable passage and the lessons it taught me became a basis for the inspecdon and preparation of every boat I sail. If a vessel is truly ready, she will deliver us.

Contents

Screenshots

Mapes E. Ready to Sail - a Captain's Guide, 2007.pdf

Скачать [12 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

Across the Savage Sea - Maud Fontenoy [2005, PDF]
Overboard!: A True Blue-water Odyssey of Disaster and Survival - Michael J. Tougias [2010, PDF]
Rescue of the Bounty: Disaster and Survival in Superstorm Sandy - Michael J. Tougias, Douglas A.…
Sea Over Bow - A North Atlantic Crossing - Kenyon L. [2018, EPUB]
Sailing a Serious Ocean: Sailboats, Storms, Stories and Lessons Learned from 30 Years at Sea - John…
Simple courage : a true story of peril on the sea - Frank Delaney [2006, PDF]
Simple courage : a true story of peril on the sea - Frank Delaney [Frank Delaney, 2007]
True Spirit: The True Story of a 16-Year-Old Australian Who Sailed Solo, Nonstop, and Unassisted…
Crewing to Win - Hemmings A. [1994, PDF]
438 days - An extraordinary true story of survival at sea - Jonathan Franklin [George Newbern, 2015]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 15:59

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3