Year: 2019
Language: english
Author: Captain Grant Headifen
Genre: Practical guide
Publisher: NauticED
Format: PDF
Quality: eBook
Pages count: 47
Description: Maneuvering under power in a sailboat is one of the most overlooked skills and it is a skill. When sailing in open waters it's reasonably difficult to hit something so long as you have a proper watch out, radar and navigation skills. When maneuvering around in the marina it's reasonably easy and common to hit something namely the dock or other boats. And of course hitting something is expensive and embarrassing.
Near the beginning of my open water sailing career, I chartered a 46 ft sailboat in St Maarten. In St Maarten, the charter base is located in a protected cove but with a tricky reef entrance. Therefore the charter base requires that a pilot come out to your boat in a speedboat, jump on board and bring the boat through the reef and park it in the slip in the marina for you. I spent some time observing this very talented Rastafarian expertly maneuver my chartered boat into the slip. It was a maneuvering job with which I was very impressed. Why? Well, just days before I had wiped the BBQ off from the back of the 46 ft sailboat because I could not maneuver the boat in a tight marina with 20 knots of side wind just as it was getting dark. I had been trying to back up to a concrete wall and simultaneously lasso pilings as they went past to hold the front of the boat in place and - off the wall. As captain, I was seeing very quickly that my open water experience was not paying off and was about to cost me, the charter company and the insurance company a lot of money. Lucky however, the expense turned out to be just the BBQ clamp.
I remember a year later maneuvering a Beneteau 50 ft sailboat into the marina in the beautiful port of Bonifacio, Corsica. Our slip was right next to the sidewalk restaurant loaded with tourists, so it was imperative to my ego to get it right. Well, I did but actually, I still think it was really more luck than anything else. As we sat on the back of the boat celebrating a no damage docking we watched a crew expertly maneuver their boat backwards down a row of slips and then turn right angles then backing their boat into a tight slip, stopping perfectly. We all cheered and clapped as it was very impressive. I vowed right then and there to learn the skill.
Captain Grant Headifen

Contents

INTRODUCTION
MOMENTUM
MANEUVERING IN FORWARD
PROP WALK
MANEUVERING IN REVERSE
SIDEWAYS MOVEMENT AND SPINNING
LEAVING THE DOCK
RETURNING TO THE DOCK
CONCLUSION

Screenshots

Maneuvering Under Power.pdf

Скачать [11 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

Basic Cruising: The National Standard for Quality Sailing Instruction - U S Sailing Association…
Dock a Boat Like a Pro - Captain John Jamieson [2018, PDF]
Piloting, Seamanship & Small Boat Handling - Chapman C.F. [1974, PDF]
Sailing for Dummies 3rd Edition - J. J. Fetter, Peter and Marly Isler [Randye Kaye (Narrator), 2023]
Best Sailing Tips 2012 - Captain John Jamieson [2012, PDF]
Shiphandling for the Mariner - Daniel H. MacElrevey and Daniel E. MacElrevey [2018, PDF]
Captain John's Top Sailing Tips- Captain John Jamieson [2013, PDF]
The Basics of Sailing - Captain Milk a.k.a. Capitan Leche [2010, PDF]
Captain John's docking secrets - Jamieson J. [2022, PDF]
How to avoid Huge Ships or I never met a Ship I liked - Trimmer J.W. [1982, PDF]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 14:52

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3