Author: Stefan Talmon and Bing Bing Jia
Genre: Manual
Publisher: OXFORD AND PORTLAND, OREGON
Edition: 1st ed.
ISBN: 1849465479
Format: PDF
Quality: eBook
Pages count: 274
Description: On 22 January 2013, the Republic of the Philippines instituted arbitral proceedings against the People's Republic of China (PRC) under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) with regard to disputes between the two countries in the South China Sea (South China Sea Arbitration). On 19 February 2013, the PRC formally expressed its opposition to the institution of proceedings, making it clear from the outset that it will not have any part in these arbitral proceedings and that this position will not change. It is thus to be expected that over the next year and a half, the Tribunal will receive written memorials and hear oral submissions from the Philippines only. The Chinese position will go unheard. However, the Tribunal is under an obligation, before making its award, to satisfy itself not only that it has jurisdiction over the dispute, but also that the claims brought by the Philippines are well founded in fact and law (UNCLOS Annex VII, Article 9).This book aims to offer a (not the) Chinese perspective on some of the issues to be decided by the Tribunal and thus to assist the Tribunal in meeting its obligations under the Convention. The book does not set out the official position of the Chinese government, but is rather to serve as a kind of amicus curiae brief advancing possible legal arguments on behalf of the absent respondent. The book does not deal with the merits of the disputes between the Philippines and the PRC, but focuses on the questions of jurisdiction, admissibility and other objections which the tribunal will have to decide as a preliminary matter. The book will show that there are insurmountable preliminary objections to the Tribunal deciding the case on the merits and that the Tribunal would be well advised to refer the dispute back to the parties in order for them to reach a negotiated settlement.The book brings together scholars of public international law from mainland China, Taiwan and Europe united by a common interest in the law of the sea and disputes in the South China Sea.

Contents

1. Introduction
Bing Bing Jia and Stefan Talmon
I. The Disputes between the Philippines and China in the South China Sea
II. The South China Sea Arbitration
2. The South China Sea Arbitration: Is There a Case to Answer?
Stefan Talmon
I. Introduction
II. Default of Appearance in Historical Perspective
III. The Consequences of Default of Appearance
IV. Possible Preliminary Objections to the Philippines' Claims
V. The Politics of Arbitration
VI. Conclusion
3. Issues of Jurisdiction in Cases of Default of Appearance
Michael Sheng-ti Gau
I. Introduction
II. Default of Appearance and Ensuing Duties of the Tribunal
III. The Requirement of a Dispute between the Parties
IV. The Requirement that the Disputes Concern the Interpretation or Application of the Convention
V. Disputes Removed from Compulsory Jurisdiction under Article 298 UNCLOS
VI. Conclusion
4. The Issue of Admissibility in Inter-State Arbitration
Bing Bing Jia
I. Introduction
II. Primary Obligation to Negotiate: Article 281(1) UNCLOS
III. Defects of Certain Claims
IV. Abuse of Rights/Procedure
V. Estoppel
VI. Conclusion
5. Jurisprudential Tenability of the Philippines v China Arbitration on South China Sea Disputes?
Haiwen Zhang and Chenxi Mi
I. Introduction
II. What Are the Philippines' Claims against China?
III. China's Reasons for Refusing the Philippines' Arbitration Request
IV. Chinese Policy toward Resolution of the South China Sea Disputes
V. Future of the Arbitration
VI. Conclusion
6. Annexes
I. Selected Documents Relevant to the South China Sea Arbitration
II. Select Bibliography on the South China Sea Disputes
III. Glossary of Place Names

Screenshots

hidden

Скачать [2 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

Interpretations of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea by International Courts and…
The South China Sea – The Struggle for Power in Asia - Bill Hayton [2014, PDF]
International Law Of The Sea [2023, MP4]
Shipbuilding Contracts - Hill Dickinson LLP [2008, PDF]
Arbitration Special Edition Bulletin - The Standard P&I Club [2012, PDF]
The 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Challenges and Opportunities for Asia and Europe - Keyuan Zou…
Global Challenges and the Law of the Sea - Marta Chantal Ribeiro • Fernando Loureiro Bastos • Tore…
Vessel Collisions in the Law of the Sea - Alfredo C. Robles [2022, EPUB/PDF]
Contesting the Arctic. Politics and Imaginaries in the Circumpolar North - Philip E. Steinberg,…
The Legal Aspects of Seaworthiness - Current Law and Development - Ahmad Hussam Kassem [2006, PDF]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 09:16

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3