Model Yacht Building & Sailing

Year: 1883
Language: english
Author: Tyrrel E. Biddle
Genre: Practical guide
Format: PDF
Quality: Scanned pages
Pages count: 160
Description: Many have been the sneers levelled at those who have taken to the pursuit of Miniature Yachting. It has been styled, trivial and ridiculous, and only fit for the amusement of children, but I very much doubt if any of those cavillers could either design, or build from draft a Model of a Yacht, mast, rig, aad trim the same, so that it will beat to windward in the teeth of a fresh breeze, or fetch off a lee shore in a gale of wind. Those who have once mastered the rudiments of the art, - I say art and a very scientific art it is - have pronounced Model Yacht Sailing a most fascinating amusement, combining both pleasure and instruction. It requires no small amount of patience and perseverance to attain even a moderate amount of skill as a Model Yacht Sailor, and the designing and building of a craft which will show respectably in a match among the clippers which are turned out by some of the various Members of the Model Yacht Clubs, is by no means an easy task. As in real yachts so in models, the most successful builders are professionals, but here and there an amateur steps in and carries all before him for a season or two, but he soon finds imitators, for Model Yacht Sailors are far from being conservative with respect to their ideas, and the following season our successful friend probably finds himself beaten by a vessel on his own lines, slightly improved, I have heard more than one person with nautical proclivities, on being shown a successful Model Yacht, exclaim - "Oh, it's easy to make one to beat that thing, I have often cut out boats when I was a boy." And on the strength of that, he calls at a carpenter's shop on his way home, selects a block of wood, and gets the carpenter to shape it into a boat This he finishes and rigs after the most approved toy shop fashion, pits it against the racing model, and to his astonishment and disgust finds that he cannot even make his craft sail on an indicated course, much less hold way with his despised competitor.

Contents

Screenshots

A treatise on the construction.pdf

Скачать [9 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

Building your dream boat - Charles E. Wood [1981, PDF]
Deep Sea Sailing - Eroll Bruce [1978, PDF & EPUB]
Boatbuilding guide - Swinfield A.N. [1962, PDF]
Model yachts and model yacht sailing, how to build, rig. and sail a self-acting model yacht -…
A Treatise on the Construction, Rigging & Handling of Model Yachts, Ships & Steamers,…
Canoe and Boat Building for Amateurs - W. P. Stephens [1889, PDF]
Kite sail rigs ’76 - A.Y.R.S. Publication No.85A - A.Y.R.S. [1976, PDF]
Sail Rigs 1976 - A.Y.R.S. Publication No.81 - A.Y.R.S. [1976, PDF]
Sail Rigs - A.Y.R.S. Publication No.26 - A.Y.R.S. [1959, PDF]
Boatbuilding: Cold-moulded and Strip-Planked Wood - Nicolson I. [2016, EPUB]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 21:55

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3