Author: Robert J. Meurn
Genre: Guide
Publisher: Cornell Maritime Press
Edition: 1st
ISBN: 0-87033-409-3
Format: PDF
Quality: eBook
Pages count: 233
Description: This book was written to help ease a cadet's or able-bodied seaman's transition to an officer in charge of a watch aboard a merchant vessel. An observer on the bridge of a merchant vessel can easily critique the performance of a watch officer (OOW) and visualize how much better he or she could stand the watch. It is only upon assuming the first watch at sea, with the license on the line, that the officer realizes the full weight of his or her responsibility for the safe navigation of the vessel. At the very least, the officer of the watch should be ready to comply with the requirements of the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeep- ing for Seafarers (STCW, 1978).
Upon assuming my first watch aboard a C2 cargo vessel, I quickly achieved the turnover when the course was repeated as the second mate departed the wheelhouse. With aids to navigation flashing and many contacts, I moved to the radar where I had observed many watch officers stand their watch. The vessel was en route from New York to Philadelphia and my 20-24 watch commenced with the vessel's position un- known and the status of contacts uncertain. I completed a rapid radar plot on five active contacts and determined two to be on steady bearing and decreasing range. Being unfamiliar with the layout of the bridge, and having forgotten my flashlight, I searched for the sound-powered phone with a cigarette lighter in order to call the master. By now the helmsman was amused and did not even think of helping the brand-new third mate.
After writing all the contact information on a piece of paper illuminated by the lighter, I placed my call. During my long conversation about unnecessary bearings and ranges the piece of paper caught fire. My screams of pain convinced the captain that he was needed on the bridge. Without looking at the radar or my plots the captain went directly to the starboard bridgewing and took several visual bearings. He then took the conn and extricated the vessel from a precarious meeting-and-crossing situation.
After the contacts cleared, the captain asked me what the vessel's position was. When I answered, "I don't know," he asked about the relieving process and whether I had read the standing orders or signed the night orders. After another negative answer I received a reprimand,
which made quite an impression on me at the tender age of twenty-one. Since then there have been many watches, but the first watch made me realize that something was missing in my preparation for standing watch. The solution for a new officer, I feel, is to achieve more experience as an acting watch officer, particularly during arrivals and departures, to spend time on a bridge simulator, and to study the guidelines in this book.
Watchstanding Guide for the Merchant Officer should not only help the new watch officer but also refresh experienced mates. The safe navigation of the vessel relies on the ship's "team"-the master, the navigator, and the watch officer. This book provides an understanding of safe navigation so all members and potential members of a ship's team can work as a unit in observing the three "C's" of safe navigation: "communication, cooperation, and coordination." In addition, the six "P's" are stressed: "Proper prior planning prevents poor performance."
Additional info: PDF of 124 pages

Contents

Screenshots

Watchstanding Guide for The Merchant Officer

Скачать [3 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

Marine Cargo operations - CAPTAIN ROBERT J. MEURN, USNR [2011, PDF]
Radar Navigation Course at Operational & Managerial level (in accordance with IMO model courses…
Human Factors Evaluation of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) - M.W. Smith…
Study Guide to the Multiple-Choice Examinations for Third and Second mate - Richard James [1980,…
Powerboat Handling Illustrated - How to Make Your Boat Do Exactly What You Want It to Do - Bob…
Automatic Radar Plotting Aids Manual - A Mariner's guide to the Use of ARPA. - A.G. Bole and…
A Seaman's Guide to Basic Chartwork - A. G. Watson [1990, PDF]
COLLISIONS HOW TO AVOID THEM - North of England P&I Association [2013, PDF]
Reeds Marine Deck 2: Crammer for Deck Officer Oral Exams - Simon Jinks [2023, PDF]
Passage Planning Guidelines - Witherby [2021, PDF]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 17:44

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3