Language: english
Author: Trimmer J.W.
Genre: Manual
Publisher: J.W. Trimmer
ISBN: 0881000191
Format: PDF
Quality: Scanned pages
Pages count: 97
Description: If over the years I had been given a dollar each time a small boat has sailed into near danger and looming disaster by steering close under the flaring bow of a ship where I was serving as pilot, I would be a wealthy man today. But alas no one has ever given me a dollar, and most likely never will.
The writing of this book was prompted by the many near misses, impending collisions and close calls involving thousands of pleasure craft that happened during the years I worked as captain and mate aboard large tugs towing huge barges, not to mention the almost collisions that took place while serving as a pilot on the bridge of ships both in the United States and the Panama Canal.
This book is not intended as a criticism of any kind directed to the captains and operators of smaller vessels. Instead it is my fervent hope and desire that How to Avoid Huge Ships or I never Met a Ship I Liked will serve as a guide and best friend to the captain of a private vessel when he finds himself in a tight situation with a large ship, whether the commander be an occasional weekend sailor or a steady year around navigator.
These days while I stand on the bridge of a heavily loaded ship with binoculars in hand, surrounded by dials, levers, lights and the latest navigational aids including two well tuned radars, I continually marvel at the captain who can with skill and daring, maneuver a swift moving sailing vessel in a stiff wind, keeping the boat safe as it cuts through the water under a huge spread of canvas. I envy the expert maneuvering done by the commander of a power craft whose white hull remains unscratched due to practised handling, while I am constrained with a big ship whose high, stiff sides and wide bows make it a cumbersome, unwieldy giant waiting for an accident to happen. I am constantly aware the ships I pilot are slow to turn, difficult to stop, and consistently maneuver like a sick cow. In some instances it seems they cannot even get out of their own way, and unfortunately their speed through the water while underway gives the distant observer, and more particularly the nearby commander of a smaller vessel, just the opposite impression. This miscalculation can quickly lure the unwary into great danger!
This book is not intended to replace the official "Rules of the Road." It is written with one purpose: to give you a simple and practical guide to keep you out from under the massive bows of commercial vessels. In all cases these are bigger and often faster than yours.
Over the years I have looked in vain for a book I could buy and give to my boating friends: a book they could carry with them and use at the scene as they forged into the shipping lanes of the nation's harbors, bays and waterways, a busy place where the ships hurriedly plow their way back and forth to the ocean from whence they came. I hope this publication will give the captain of a smaller vessel some degree of assurance that what he is doing around these deep draft vessels will prevent his craft from ever coming close to being run down by some over-size ship. I pray it will keep you and yours out of harm's way!

Contents

Screenshots

Trimmer J.W. How to avoid Huge Ships, 1982.pdf

Скачать [15 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

Questions on COLREG - Adrian MINCULESCU [2013, PDF]
Captain John's Top Sailing Tips- Captain John Jamieson [2013, PDF]
Maneuvering under Power - Captain Grant Headifen [2019, PDF]
Handbook of the Nautical Rules of the Road - Llana C.B. [1991, PDF]
Devils gate - Clive Cussler [200?]
Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook: International—Inland, Full Color 2021 Edition - USGS…
Shiphandling for the Mariner - Daniel H. MacElrevey and Daniel E. MacElrevey [2018, PDF]
The arts of the sailor : knotting, splicing, and ropework - HERVEY GARRETT SMITH [1990, PDF]
The boating book: a practical guide to safe pleasure boating, power and sail - John Roberts [1991,…
Pilot Cutters Under Sail - Pilots and Pilotage in Britain and Northern Europe - Cunliffe T. [2013,…
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 19:06

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3