doomer ® 12-Сен-2021 14:50
hello i was recently promoted to 2nd mate position and i will be on board in next 2-3 weeks as navigation officer so i have some questions that need to be answered by someone more experienced in this subject.
1-lets say you are at Rotterdam and your vessel will be shifted to another berth inside the rotterdam port. do you need to switch on MF/HF during shifting? i think probably not.. but how you record that either situation in radio log book?
2-ENC producers, that doesn't issue T& Ps in AIO where you find the T& Ps then? in their local website? lets say you transit alot of countries that doesnt issue T& Ps is there place that you find something like cumulative list? or you have to look for each country web site or something?
3.how safe to use BP port2port for getting overall imagine of passage for that voyage ? not all details just the skeleton of the passage
4. how frequent do you charge ALDIS battery when i was cadet 2nd off was charging weekly and i was 3rd, 2nd off was charging monthly?
5- during Kiel passage, for example, we were recording vessels' position every 30 min to ships logbook is this correct practice?
6- advancing or retarding ships clock? how you do it? i have seen 2nd off always change 02:00 middle of his watch i have seen 2nd change right on 24:00 does it matter at all? how you record it on logbook?
0001 ship's clock advanced by 1 hour to gmt+1 ---is this correct entry?
thats all thanks. i also appreciate more tips from experienced officers
gillnumil 12-Сен-2021 19:07
doomer,
Congratualtions on your promotion.
Please find below my thoughts on your questions. No need to reply or start a debate on any point. Just adopt the points which seem good to you and ignore if unhappy with any answers.

1)lets say you are at Rotterdam and your vessel will be shifted to another berth inside the rotterdam port. do you need to switch on MF/HF during shifting? i think probably not.. but how you record that either situation in radio log book?
This forum is not the correct place to ask this question, You will get mixed answers which will confuse you more, some will say yes some no.But in any case you cannot follow anybody advise here and justify it later.
Master is overall and complete authority in matters of Bridge Equipment and Navigation. Onboard Master has to decide if you are unable to find any instructions in company manuals (He is the one who is signing on the GMDSS log book and directly answerable to authorities and company). Still any doubts should be referred to the Marine Superintendent.

2-ENC producers, that doesn't issue T& Ps in AIO where you find the T& Ps then? in their local website? lets say you transit alot of countries that doesnt issue T& Ps is there place that you find something like cumulative list? or you have to look for each country web site or something?
If its not included in AIO then search for T&P's in the same way as you would do for paper charts. From NTM's and NP234A&B.
3.how safe to use BP port2port for getting overall imagine of passage for that voyage ? not all details just the skeleton of the passage
Again, its for onboard Master to decide whether he is comfortable with BP distances.
It takes very less time to create a route on ECDIS and if u have time, better get exact distance.

4. how frequent do you charge ALDIS battery when i was cadet 2nd off was charging weekly and i was 3rd, 2nd off was charging monthly?
Again i see a pattern here in which you are deciding yourself for things. Better to communicate with onboard Master and ask him if any doubt regarding equipment. Company PMS will be having correct interval to be followed for each equipment.
5- during Kiel passage, for example, we were recording vessels' position every 30 min to ships logbook is this correct practice?
Refer Company's manual for position fixing interval. Onboard Master may prefer using more stringent interval. Not for a second mate to decide these things. Follow guidelines. And please communicate with Master and Bridge team and not ask random people in forums for these things as it is very specific and is varied from company to company and Master to Master.
6- advancing or retarding ships clock? how you do it? i have seen 2nd off always change 02:00 middle of his watch i have seen 2nd change right on 24:00 does it matter at all? how you record it on logbook?0001 ship's clock advanced by 1 hour to gmt+1 ---is this correct entry?
Again repeating myself, but the correct and professional way is not deciding on own and taking guidance from Company manuals and Onboard Master.
Some Master prefer to advance during day time and retard at night.
02:00 is the most correct way to do it as it does not hamper anyone directly. Change of clock should be generally avoided during watch changeover times (at 00:01 or 04:00) to minimise any confusion as to who is OOW and responsible in case of a developing close quarters situation.

For a first time Second Mate, you might feel a little nervous to approach captain for each and every thing. But remember he is the one in overall charge and he is the one who is answerable to authorities for any defects or wrong actions of his mates. Always take the Master in confidence and share your concerns with him. But make sure to go through all the manuals and company guidelines before you approach him. If something is given in Company SMS or bulletins you can blindly follow it. For any grey areas you can involve the Bridge team and take their guidance and then ultimately approach Master.
If you have time, refer SIRE VIQ, CDI, Rightship ...whatever is applicable to your type of vessel and gain knowledge. But first of all be thorough with Navigation Manual and associated bulletins and circulars.
Wish you a safe and happy time on board.
skipper3362 12-Сен-2021 20:11
doomer, on the frist is can recall
i was ship agent in the past in rotterdam
wenn shifting to the berth you inform the agent he also check if your berth is avilibel yes ore no and if you have to go to a waiting place( being floating , slow speed , waiting berth)
he will arrange boatmen , pilot , tugs to be there for unmoring and mooring , and the port control center
with shifting the pilot is on board and he wil use is one vhf ore the ship vhf , to get in contact with the boatman , tug , and post control center ( ore the block where he is in there , and wen shifting to a other block that post )
if you have a ferry smal ship and the distance is close by you can use your ships vhf tho contact the block post of the port control center , so you may only need boat man , ore without depends of the size of the ship and is you have dispansation for that from the port
so you do not need the mf/hf for this.
so all communication is don by mobile phone ore vhf
so your radio sation is only there in the watch stand so als always
gillnumil 13-Сен-2021 12:19
doomer, I don't know if you have understood correctly what i wanted to say.
Ok I will give you answers they way you want.
1) No, MF /HF not to be switched on.
2) Refer to T&P in the same way as you would for paper charts and plot manually.
3) Yes, BP distances are safe.
4) Once a month seems to be standard.
5) 30 min position is not good enough. It has to be more frequent.
6) No, it dont matter at all what time you change clocks.
Для отправки сообщений необходимo включить JavaScript