Language: english
Author: Dodds D.
Genre: Manual
Publisher: Lyons Press
ISBN: 1-58574-327-8
Format: PDF
Quality: Scanned pages
Pages count: 388
Description: This book — conceived as a natural outcome of my research into cruising — was intended to be published before I began bluewater cruising. Delays will be delays, however, and I didn’t finish the book until I’d been cruising for three years.
A gracious soul could choose to look on this lack of discipline as fortuitous, for during our journey I became increasingly aware that most bluewater cruisers (including me) were unaware of and unprepared for the physical and emotional conditions that they encountered in their new lifestyle; in addition, many had left with the wrong equipment.
Those with the wrong equipment were victims of the technological explosion that hit cruising, as it has just about every sport. For example, I remember backpacking when there was no freeze-dried food and the Trapper Nelson packs weighed about 8 pounds empty. Then an influx of participants generated product improvements, so more people could participate, which generated a bigger market and still more improvements, and the process continues in a self-exciting cycle.
Cruising has reached a point in its development where changes in equipment are occurring rapidly. Books written even five years ago still extol the virtues ofTrapper Nelson boats and equipment. But much of the modern equipment is far superior to that espoused by the old guard, and it allows a broader cross-section of the public to experience cruising.
Technology is advancing so rapidly that some of what is written in this book will be outdated in a few years.
To prolong the usefulness of this book, then, 1 have tried to include enough technical background that you will understand the principles behind the equipment and so make satisfactory choices even as the market changes. One of the major premises of this book is that one size does not fit all. You are an individual whose boat should be tailored to fit your specific needs, not my needs or the needs of any other cruising-book author. Some of the convictions put forth in this book fly in the face of traditional beliefs. There is an old saying in the journalistic world: “If the truth conflicts with the legend, print the legend.” I have endeavored to stay with the truth, regardless of the wisdom of that choice, both when dealing with equipment and with the mystique of cruising.
The lack of emotional preparedness I encountered among cruisers was almost epidemic. More surprising was that most of them had read considerable amounts of cruising literature. In my case that meant four or five monthly periodicals regularly, and several hundred books on sailing and cruising over a period of 20 years.
Reflecting while on passage — one of the few things you can do on passage — I realized that most of the books I had read on sailing and cruising were written to convince me that cruising is the ultimate lifestyle. Some of the authors were downright zealous in their presentation. I could recall only one article about someone who had quit cruising, and even that piece was not really critical of the cruising lifestyle. The people involved had simply grown tired of cruising. Further research showed a complete lack of any real opposing view; even a middle-of-the-road book with fair treatment pro and con was unavailable.
I had to wonder: What about the thousands of people who sail into the sunset on a long-awaited “dream passage” only to pitch it all when they reach the first port—sell the boat, maybe get a divorce, and figuratively buy a chicken ranch in Arizona? Where are their stories? Why did they quit?
There’s no dark conspiracy here, I realized, only the workings of the marketplace. If cruising magazines published more negative articles, their readers and advertisers would have a fit. One prominent magazine, Writers Market, goes so far as to request only articles on the enjoyable aspects of cruising. And most marine books are produced by publishing houses specializing in boating subjects; they are not going to slap the hand that feeds them, either.
This has left a niche for a book that realistically presents the facts of cruising. A book that tells the dark as well as the bright side. Surprisingly, most cruisers I have met encouraged me to write about the negative aspects of cruising. So I have shifted the emphasis of this book to provide some of that missing information and partially fill the need for “the rest of the story.”
Another major premise of this book is that the cruising lifestyle is not the lifestyle, nor even a very good lifestyle; it is just a lifestyle. Like any other, it has its good and bad parts. During the research stage of this project I was on occasion offended by the zealous approach of many authors. In fact, I blame zeal for many of the things that are wrong with the world today. If a zealot at all, I am a zealot for moderation, for the middle of the road, for both sides of the story — you could say a zealot against zealots. So with these windmills to tilt, infidels to scourge, fair maidens to rescue, and zealots to slay, fire was given to my pen, and motivation to my mission.

Contents

Screenshots

Dodds D. Modern Cruising Under Sail, 2001.pdf

Скачать [18 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

How to sail around the world - advice and ideas for voyaging under sail - Roth H. [2004, PDF]
Boatbuilding - Yesterday and Today - Foerthmann P. [2021, PDF/EPUB]
The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising - Beth A. Leonard [2007,…
A Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay - Childress L.M., Childress P. [1990, EPUB]
Singlehanded Sailing: The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone Voyagers - Richard Henderson…
Sail - Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc [2019, PDF]
The Capable Cruiser - Lin and Larry Pardey [1987, PDF]
Ready for Sea - How to Outfit the Modern Cruising Sailboat and Prepare Your Vessel and Yourself for…
Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas - Abby Sunderland, Lynn Vincent…
Handbook of Offshore Cruising - Howard J. [2000, PDF]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 22:52

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3