Year: 1981
Language: english
Author: Ambrose Greenway
Genre: History
Publisher: Allan
Format: PDF
Quality: Scanned pages
Pages count: 132
Description: Today a new generation is growing up to whom the traditional cross-Channel passenger steamer is almost as remote as a steam engine. Their's is the world of the large multi-purpose car ferry and if they come to read this 1 hope that they may learn to appreciate something of the grace of the smaller ships which paved the way to today's comparative giants. As for the older generation who have seen it all before I ask them to bear with me in my indulgence and perhaps take a-gentle trip down memory lane.
As I write this early in 1980 only three pure passenger ships remain in operation on the Channel and then only regularly during the summer months. Hovercraft and more recently jetfoils are pointing the way to the future and their advent makes it extremely unlikely that any more traditional ships will ever be built. Their story therefore is almost complete.
The 'hundred years' that I have chosen to cover extends to the present day but it is by no means arbitrary and I have bent it slightly in one or two instances to suit my purpose. My reasons for choosing such a period are twofold, first because it conveniently spans the evolution of the 'modern' cross-Channel passenger ship from the days of the original steel built paddle steamers which had finally shaken free from the last clipper-bowed vestiges of the sailing ship era. Secondly photographs of ships built before 1880 are hard to come by and as this is intended to be a more visual record than hitherto I feel that I can omit them with a clear conscience.

Contents

Screenshots

A Century of Cross-Channel Passenger Ferries.pdf

Скачать [18 KB]

Спасибо

Похожие релизы

A century of North Sea passenger steamers - Ambrose Greenway [1986, PDF]
Paddle Steamers - David L. Williams [2002, PDF]
Ships through the ages - Douglas Lobley [1972, PDF]
Magazine «World Of Ships» - Different for each issue [2017-2018, PDF]
Ships - From Noah's Ark to Nuclear Submarine - Knight F. [1969, PDF]
Clipper Ship Days - The Golden Age of American Sailing Ships - Jennings J.E. [1952, PDF]
Passage - From Sail to Steam - Beavis L.R.V. [1986, PDF]
Sail's Last Century: The Merchant Sailing Ship 1830-1930 - Robert Gardiner [1993, PDF]
Ferries of the British Isles (World of Ships 15) - Leah N., Plummer R. [2020, PDF]
The Ship. The Life and Death of the Merchant Sailing Ship 1815-1965 - Basil Greenhill [1980, PDF]
  • Ответить

Текущее время: Сегодня 23:18

Часовой пояс: GMT + 3